22 August 2012

Face meet brick wall

"Aren't you a least a little jealous?"
"No." me
"If I were you I would be"
"Why?" me
"Because your sisters husband is home and yours isn't"
"Thank you for pointing out the obvious" me
"So you are jealous"
"No, a member of my family is home safe" me
"But don't you want your husband home too"
"Of course....." me
"I think its odd you aren't jealous"
"I think its odd that I would be" me
"hmmm"
" My BIL completed his journey and deserves to be home with his family. They've endured the months and months and now its our turn. I don't find it odd that I am not jealous..." me
"Never thought of it this way, what if your husband dies"

Why is it we as military wives are constantly having to justify our feelings or way of life... Logically I know this answer however sometimes it feels similar to hearing a child say mommy 500 times in a nanosecond! I try to teach them and show them knowing that they are just ignorant to our way of life and  that we as wives get complacent and forget how foreign our lives seem to some people. Just like everyone else this is right up there with the "how can you agree with war knowing your husband may be shot or worse"

I forget that sometimes I am just as fascinated with other peoples lives- where they work, how they live esp if its in a different country, what their way of life consist of.... Patients is a virtue my sister always say lol. I think the lesson here is that no matter the walk of life you come from we need to have patience and understanding when we are on the receiving end of questions and scrutiny  and a little more compassion and understanding when we are the ones asking them....

No comments: